Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Good-Bye Shaggy...

this was a letter taken from SLAP magazine...

What's the deal with these wack-ass skateboarders in your magazine? I thought skating was about being talented. It really seems that to get in your magazine you have to know the right people. I see these kids who get check outs, interviews, full page photos, and I put the magazine down and think to myself, "How the hell did he get a photo in SLAP?" Then i go and skate the streets of New York and I see these kids and they cannot land one trick. I wouldn't have the balls to be in a magazine if I couldn't land my tricks. These kids suck, but they make sure they hang out with the pros. If I was to hang out at Supreme 24-7 and chilled with the so-called NYC pros, would you put me in your magazine? Does it matter if I don't land the trick? I'm sure you can get a nice angle and make the trick look good. -Shaggy, New York, NY

OK, ready? There are no wack-ass skaters in SLAP. Everybody who is in here is in here because they skate hard. Skateboarding is not about being talented, skateboarding is about having fun. That is very important. To a degree, yes, you have to know the right people to get in the magazine, or at least come in contact with them somewhere. Magazines use particular photographers and writers to make the magazine. There are other ways to get in(such as sending in your own stuff to us), but most people who get in get in because they know or spotted by people who work for the mag. I agree that it would be great if everybody was super consistent and could do anything they want at any time, but usually tricks require effort and a few tries. Pros don't only hang out with pros, they hang out with their friends, and sometimes their friends get noticed because they are around pros, not because they are amazing, but because they are nice people who also skate. You are already in our mag, Shaggy. If you want to be in visually, send photos and maybe we can get you in the Diatribe's Most Famous Gallery. C'mon, Shaggy, your letters have been slippin lately. Don't let your Diatribe fame cloud your writing. Let's see something exciting next month or you're getting a time-out-MW

No comments:

Post a Comment